Monday, October 13, 2008

The French Bunion Soup Story


(Chips and Dip in Flip Flops...)


I've had this foot problem for as long as I can remember. When I was 11 or 12, my gymnastics coach told my parents to have it checked out by a podiatrist, as he was concerned with my knee bowing inward when landing leaps and other one-legged-landing moves. It was in this doctor's office, that I first heard the word "bunion". Ewwww. Bunion.

A few days later, I was at my grandparents' house hanging out with my family. Swimming in the pool, BBQ-ing, drinking (not me... well, maybe a sip of Nana's wine), and eating corn on the cob. The usual. At one point, one of my uncles points at my foot and says "What is that?!?" I got embarrassed, but I think they were a little tipsy and just kept talking about it. By now, all my aunts, uncles and parents have joined in.

"Is that a corn?"
"God, what is that thing? A sixth toe?"

Et cetera... They weren't being mean. Just poking fun. Finally, I get annoyed and say "No! It's a bunion!"

And literally two seconds later, Nana brings out some chips and dip.

"Hey Bert, what kind of dip is this?"
"French Onion Dip...whaddya think?"
"What? French BUNION Dip?!?!? HAHAHAHA!"

Hilarious laughter ensued from my entire drunk family. Soon, it was all talk of Bunion Rings, the Bloomin' Bunion... the list goes on. Finally, the list dwindles and the laughter dies down. A few minutes later someone announces that the soup was done. I think it was my grandpa's signature Manhattan Clam Chowder, but one of my aunt's says, "I think it's French Bunion Soup!" And that was it. Everyone was laughing so hard they were crying and could hardly breathe. By now, I was no longer embarrassed, and also laughing hysterically (but mostly laughing at my family.)

So now, whenever I look at my feet, or think about my bunion I remember that day and it makes me happy. That day really helped me get over the embarrassment of having an ugly foot, and made me able to laugh it off. It actually makes me a little sad that I won't have the bunion anymore after January 8th. But at least I'll still have the memory.

And most definitely, my last thoughts before going into surgery and getting drugged out will be "French Bunion Soup!" :-D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so proud to be an honorary mcdonough...

Unknown said...

i definitely do not remember that. guess i was too young but that is hysterical and i can easily see that happening.

Dad said...

Finally got on your blog. Saw Truman; looks like your having a good time. Forgot about the bunion soup story; almost fell of my chair I laughed so hard. You should have mentioned that this goes back to Nana McDonough(then Aunt Cathy) from NY whose bunion I think was as bad or worse than yours because she never had surgery. I think You're making a smart decision to have the surgery now. Dad