Friday, April 10, 2009

Baby Steps


I had another check-up with the doctor yesterday. X-rays were taken, toes were wiggled, extra screws were discovered. Apparently my foot was so floppy it required three screws instead of the usual two to secure things into place. I am also a "floppy-jointed" person in general, demonstrated when my doctor started grabbing random appendages - arms, legs, thumbs, and flopping them around like a rag doll. Perhaps I have more muppet-like qualities than I realized... (George).

Unfortunately, I am stuck in "das boot" for another 4 weeks. However, I can take it off to sleep (yay!) and can also start walking without crutches whenever it feels comfortable. Of course I tried to walk with one crutch immediately. Luckily I was next to the couch, so the fall was not so painful. In my head, I totally remember how to walk - but my foot seems to have forgot! This will take some practice it seems. Part of the problem is the boot itself. It has a lot of protection/padding, so it feel like wearing a 1-2" platform shoe on one foot. It also has a rocking bottom, supposedly to make it easier to walk. So you don't have to put as much weight on the front of the foot to propel yourself forward. However, when I step and my weight goes forward, ALL of my momentum CONTINUES forward and it feels like I will fall if I don't get my other foot forward FAST. This results in a really bad limp/hop .. not so much of a walk. Working on it though!

Stay tuned for video of my First Steps. Coming soon hopefully....

2 comments:

kaplow! said...

step, wince, repeat. ;)

81Trucolors said...

Sounds like it's time to wear heel. :)