Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ready or not...

T minus 2 days. I've cleaned the house so the roommates won't hate me too much. (It's messy again.) I have almost everything I need - still working on the foot covering for in the shower. Do I go with the rubberband and garbage bag, or a buy a fancy waterproof cast cover? I've got the shower seat and the roll-stool ... although apparently I need to WD-40 the stool. My roommates might have nightmares from the sound of the stool rolling down the hallway. I foresee a bored future me filming some sort of homemade horror flick.... hmmmm...

Tomorrow at 2pm I call the hospital and find out my surgery time. I'm REALLY hoping that it's in the morning. Apparently, I cannot eat anything for the 8 hours pre-surgery. I can only drink apple juice, black coffee, tea and water. The last 2 hours I can't even drink anything. It even says that chewing gum and sucking on hard candy is not allowed. So basically, no saliva allowed. Geez. So anyone who knows me well, knows that it will be MUCH better if those 8 food free hours occur while I am sleeping. I apologize in advance to Bret if I'm crankier than normal that morning. At least all this food and drink deprivation will help me pass out easier.

I'm planning on requesting the twilight anesthesia versus the fully-knocked-out general anesthesia. For both they give you a nerve block, so my leg will be completely numb for 24 hours. That will be an interesting sensation. Instead of knocking you out completely, for twilight, they gently sedate you. This means that you could be awake during part of the surgery. However, they also give you a medicine called Versed, which is essentially an amnesia drug. So if you do wake up and talk, you have no recollection of it. So Harry Potter-ish! I guess it's a lot easier on your body to not have to deal with full knock-out. So hopefully I'll be all amnesia'd and happy and won't remember a thing.

I'd like to extend a HUGE thank you to my ride, and my former ride. You know you are. Former ride could not make the trek to Aurora with me due to unseen circumstances, and current ride stepped up to the plate like the awesome friend he is. And to everyone else who offered, or who has offered to hang out and keep me company, etc. You all rock too. I will definitely be collecting on those offers to hang out, as I imagine boredom setting in very quickly. I will most likely be hopped up on pain killers. I can only hope to be as entertaining as this kid:




I'll update again as soon as I am able!! Love you all!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

george, promise me that if kerry is even half as entertaining as that kid, you'll video. actually, video anyway, just in case!

=)

81Trucolors said...

That kid is hilarious. You are going to rock the recovery! Give me a call if your ass needs a ride somewhere.