Sunday, February 15, 2009

Smack it!


This is a true statement. I especially have a hard time letting other people do things for me because there are a lot of times when I am alone and need to do things by myself anyways. Therefore, I have perfected the technique of hopping on one foot with the aid of a crutch, while carrying something with the other hand. This is how I get things like food and cups onto the little table next to my bed. Around the house, my little scooter/stool-on-wheels makes me pretty mobile, so I can do most things on my own. Still have trouble reaching things, but that's nothing new. But I have to say, it is kind of nice when people insist on helping and do things for me anyways. I will admit it's easier.

I'm feeling a billion times better. I stopped taking the oxycodone yesterday. I really just didn't like the way it made me feel - head, body, digestive system - the whole package really. I maintained a regimen of Advil yesterday, but have even been scaling that back. Don't want any stomach ulcers or holes in my stomach. Sometime the lack of pain makes me worried - like did they cut a nerve they shouldn't have? But I'll deal with that later. I'm sure it will start hurting once I start walking on it. And I do have little moments of pain - especially when I involuntarily twitch my toes. I also took a shower yesterday, which felt SO nice. It wasn't super comfortable to sit on the shower chair and put my leg up on the corner of the tub, but it was nice to get clean. I'm sure it will get easier with time.

The one really great thing about this whole ordeal, is how truly amazing my friends are. I love how in times of strife, you see how awesome your friends really are (and how lame others are.) Everyone's true colors really shine. Some examples of awesomeness: Matt bringing me food and being a true lifesaver on Thursday. I think that will be a meal I'll never forget - I was STARVING! George for WD-40ing the scooter stool and for being all around awesome for putting up with me these next couple of weeks. Alex for bringing me Jamba Juice and watching The Office. Alex for coming back on Valentine's Day with flowers! Yay for getting flowers on Valentine's Day and not even having to ask! Especially since she looked like a lesbian at the flower shop on Valentine's Day. hahaha. Truman for bringing me my favorite Thai food, letting me live vicariously through his mountain adventures, and trying out the Smackit Racket with me (see pictures below.) Jamie for sending the best care package ever including said Smackit Racket! Vanessa for video chatting with me, and for being an awesome friend with whom I can talk about poop! hahaha. And Maia, Hoa, Rahul, Jay, Chris, Stepan, Ken, Stephanie, Leah, Dave, and all my other friends and family who I have yet to see, but who have made the effort to check in with me one way or another, keep me entertained, give me advice, and in general - make me feel loved! Thank you so much!! :-)

And now... here's some pictures of me and Truman trying out the smackit racket. It's incredibly difficult, and the only thing that got smacked was our faces. But still, good times... Next up - Bible Coloring book!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad the smack-it racket is recieving some play. ;)

81Trucolors said...

looks like my smack-it racket is kinda limp. :(