Thursday, February 26, 2009

Two weeks post-op

Well, the cast is gone, the stitches are out, and for the next 5 weeks, I am now the proud owner of a big, heavy black boot. (With air pump a la early-90s Reeboks!) I can put minimal weight on my heel, with crutches... so I'm not much more mobile than before. Actually, I walk much slower and it takes a lot more effort than it does to just be one footed. But I think I just need to practice and get the whole kinda-sorta-walking thing down. I'll probably still use the scooter-stool around the house though.

Although my foot is swollen, and multi-colored, it looks SO GOOD. In my humble opinion anyways. Still not perfect.. still a little angled inward, but SO much better than before. From what I've seen on other bunion blogs, the toes really straighten out, and figure out their true place, once the patient is allowed to start putting weight and walking normally on the foot. I've got a long way to go before that happens, but it's great to see progress already!

As promised, here are the gross Removal of the Cast photos:




And here are some awesome Before/After shots!



Thanks for all of the encouraging thoughts everyone! I definitely have those "Damnit, why can't I just get up and WALK to the desk that is 4 feet away?" downer moments. But thoughts of hanging out and hiking and climbing and doing all these fun things with all my awesome friends this summer, gets me through those moments! So thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kezza! Your foot looks totally gross, but it's somehow adorable at the same time!

I hope you're doing somersaults very soon.

Kezza said...

Aw, thanks Ef! That's sweet :-)