Monday, January 22, 2007

Sydney!

Got back from Tahoe Monday night and spent most of Monday night and Tuesday figuring out where I was going to stay in Sydney, what to do/see in Sydney, sending all my winter gear back home and repacking everything for Australia. Can't believe my US vacation is over :-(

Left SFO Tuesday night and arrived in Sydney Thursday morning. Kind of wierd to miss a day. I thought I was going to get bumped from the flight, but I actually got a late seat assignment which meant window exit row! Sweet. There was still a big bulking emergency raft thing poking out of the exit door, but that was nice to rest my feet on. So I slept most of the way this time thankfully and the flight actually seemed fairly short. I've had trans-US flights that have seemed way longer. After landing I chilled in the airport a bit to figure things out and use the free internet. Then I made my way to the hotel. I actually splurged a bit and got my own room. But it's in a YWCA hotel so it's small, but still nice and safe with a tv, fridge, hair dryer and tea and coffee. Not bad for $60/night American in the middle of Sydney. After weeks of travelling and constantly being around lots of other people (not that I didn't love every second of it), I was really looking forward to having my own space again. Even if it is the size of a walk in closet. I couldn't check in to my room right away since it was so early, so I dropped off my luggage and went for a long walk to the best breakfast place ever. bills. www.bills.com.au Apparently this guy bill is a famous Sydney chef and my Lonely Planet said he makes the best scrambled eggs ever. It wasn't cheap, but after 13 hours on a plane I didn't care. And they really were the best scrambled eggs ever. CREAMY and perfectly seasoned. Seriously though, I've never knew what creamy scrambled eggs meant until now. SO freakin good. I even took a picture. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had. Soon after I checked into my hotel, napped, showered, and met one of my German buddies, David, at his hostel where we cooked dinner. The plan was to go out for a drink or two after dinner but at about 8pm Sydney time I got super tired. Considering that's 1am San Fran time, that's not surprising really. Jet lag sucks! I ended up heading home and literally passed out at about 10pm.

At least I woke up early today. Got up at about 7am, showered, hit up the free continental brekkie, and headed out to the cafe I found the day before that had "free" wireless nearby. Except today it didn't work! Bummer. Still on the hunt for a reliable open network near the hotel. I gotta upload my pictures! After the cafe and breakfast number 2 (I LOVE breakfast), I took the bus out to Bondi Beach. This is the iconic Sydney surfer beach. Only 6 miles from the city center too. I wasn't much in the mood for laying and baking in the sun though, so I did this 4 mile coastal walk along all the beaches and took the bus back from Coogee Beach. Pretty amazing scenery especially considering how close it is to the city. So far Sydney rocks!!! Here's some scenery to think about when you're freezing on the lifts (just for Bret! :)





Bondi Beach:






Cool funky beach house:





All the rocks along the coast looked like this:






I'm not sure what this is. A bum's amazing cliffside home? A memorial of some sort? A modern art piece? No idea.




I am trying to perfect the art of the self-taken picture...



Some old couple felt bad for me taking a picture of myself (even though I really wanted to) so they insisted on taking one of me:


Bronte and Tamarama (aka Glamarama) Beaches:






Tamarama Beach:




Bronte Beach:




Waverly Cemetary. Not a bad place to spend eternity eh?





Aussies take their bocce ball (or lawnbowling as they say) VERY seriously.




Coogee Beach:

No comments: